Monday, November 21, 2005

Welcome to my home - Part 2

This just in!

The Catalogue of Philanthropy publishes a yearly Generosity Index. And while Mississippi may have it's share of piece-of-shit-child-murdering-crack-whores, it looks like we're pretty freakin' generous. Mississippi has yet again come in at #1 on the list of most generous states. The top 10 most generous states are:
  1. Mississippi
  2. Arkansas
  3. South Dakota
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Tennessee
  6. Alabama
  7. Louisiana
  8. Utah
  9. South Carolina
  10. West Virginia

So, 7 out of 10 happen to be below the Mason-Dixon line. Now, one would say that because most of these states are also Bible-Belt states, then you have the fear of God and the lure of heaven to get them going. In other words, if they give lots of money to good causes, then God HAS to let them into heaven, ergo, they can shoulder a little more sin without fear of retribution. Or else they believe that God will cast them into Hell for not giving what they could (or even more than they could!). Either way, it works out for us and keeps us in top of the list.

Of course, we could just be more generous because... well... we just are. I only have myself as a meter on this one, and I have to admit that I am pretty parsimoneous when it comes to philanthropy. Actually, I am more generous than I give myself credit for - I do give several hundred simoleons on a yearly basis, but only to animal sheltering organizations. The people of this planet don't get my money. So all in all I am much more comfortable thinking that people do good not because they want to, but because they are scared not to. I'm funny that way.

That being said, I will now present the list of the top 10 stingiest states:

  1. New Hampshire
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New Jersey
  4. Rhode Island
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Connecticut
  7. Minnesota
  8. Colorado
  9. Hawaii
  10. Michigan

Other intersting notes from the Catalogue for Philanthropy...

The latest Generosity Index mirrors the 2004 presidential election's breakdown between "blue" and "red" states. 25 of the most generous states voted for Bush, 11 of 12 of the stingiest for Kerry.

Mississippi was the poorest (average income $35,720) and had average contributions of $4,470. New Hampshire averaged $50,952 and $2,607. Fucking yankees!

By the way, I never can remember if I'm in a red or blue state. I know that if you go through the battlefield in Vicksburg, all the battlefield maps depict the northern states in blue. Or red.

Not that it matters. Bush and Kerry can both suck the pipe with verve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home