Wednesday, October 05, 2005

We finally get "mention"...

So after the first week of the "aftermath of Katrina", we all know that the Mississippi Coast pretty much disappeared from national coverage. I guess we didn't have enough bastards stealing shit to make the nationals. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that we did get some mention today.

On CNN.com there was an article where they asked everyone to send in their ideas on 1) should New Orleans be rebuilt, and 2) if so - how? There were actually some pretty good ideas - although I'm not sure turning the 9th ward into a Venice-like area would really fit with the majority of the French architecture...

Anyhoo - here is where we got our mention...

As a New Orleans native, I am deeply concerned regarding the rebuilding effort. Besides honoring our architectural legacy, an effort should be made to create parks, gardens, state-of-the-art schools, libraries and community and cultural centers that focus on food, music, art and history. We have a wonderful city that has been hijacked by corrupt politicians. I don't want New Orleans to turn into Las Vegas, Biloxi, Houston, Atlanta or Disneyland.

Michael Dominici, New Orleans, Louisiana


First of all, I admire his ideas. Wouldn't it be great we just squatted down and shit money all over the place so we could fund all this stuff - and thereby give the admitted corrupt politicians an opportunity to start over and really fuck things up?

And another thing - I don't know if this bastard Mikey ever tried to walk around alone in Biloxi by himself at 3AM, but I guarantee that his heart was beating a little slower than if he attempted the same thing in New Orleans. I love New Orleans, but in the last 10 years I have found myself wandering around between 1AM and dawn less and less. Crap - I have felt safer in Vegas and Atlanta than I have on the last couple of overnights to N.O.

And the last time I looked, I seem to remember there being a little food, music, art and history in Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Gulfport etc... And even though the water is rank, we have beach! Well, had a beach... And we got (hopefully still) your god-damned Goofy Golf, too!

And there's definitely a shitload less complaining from a citizenry that actually lost something (everything) as opposed to people bitching about losing the stuff they got for nothing. Oops - I'm channeling my father now...

Anyway, it's okay to be proud of your city. Hell, I live in Brandon. It's nothing but "show-me" christians and a really fat mayor. But I'm not comparing it to Houston or Disneyland (although I prefer Disneyworld). And after everything that has been in the news from N.O. in the last 5 weeks, it appears this guy left out the paragraph where he describes how the poor and indigent of New Orleans will be systematically exterminated in order to allow his little fairyland to be built.

Fuck! Did I just say that?

1 Comments:

At 16/9/07 15:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it seems I was wise to leave New Orleans thought that decision still tugs at my heart. In the two years since Katrina I've come to realize that indeed, if I would have stayed I very well may have ended up as a crime statistic or lost my mind there in anger, frustration, disbelief, and neglect. Being a native New Orleanian it was a difficult choice to make but, I didn't want to stay and be victimized nor did I want to give the impression that New Orleanians will just put up with anything because we love the city so much. I do love New Orleans but there isn't a single solitary thing there worth dying for. Every branch of government have failed the city either by corruption, neglect, or incompetence. I do believe that the only way New Orleans can survive and prosper is to invest in not only the infrastructure and levee protection but to also invest in the culture, heritage, and education of its citizens or else it is a doomed city.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home