Friday, March 17, 2006

Those people...

People suck. That’s all there is to it. This is why I have cats. I hold animals in much higher regard than most people (except for my girlfriend and a handful of pals/family). Oh - and the people on my blogroll!

On a recent business trip to New Jersey, I got to deal with New Jerseyans. ‘nuff said. Actually, the few people that tried to be assholes actually melted a little when I would thank them for services rendered, or say good morning. (Yes, I am a rube – it’s been a while since I went to the city!)

I also had to contend with a traveling partner that makes Sylvia Plath seem like Powerpuff Girl Bubbles. She told me right out she doesn’t like gay people. I sensed (but can’t prove) that she doesn’t care for black people. She uses the term "those people" way to much for my tastes! And she is just a freakin’ thundercloud of negative energy. Some examples:

Example #1
(Sitting in Hartsfield watching a couple with 2 very young kids go by)
MB: Wow. You have to really “want it” to fly with 2 children.
TP: Well, some people have to travel across the country, and that’s tough to do without flying because blah blah blah (insert several very good and obvious reasons why traveling cross country with kids in an automobile is less desirable than air travel).

Example #2
(Upon returning from a food joint with my lunch after having told her I was going and she offered to watch the bags)
TP: I’m getting pretty hungry.
MB: Why don’t you go to the food court?
TP: Well I wasn’t going leave the bags unattended!!!

So on example #1 I certainly did not say “People that travel in airplanes with kids suck and should be euthanized in the town square!” My point was that it is a commitment, and a difficult one. Kudos to the traveling family. But I hope your baby doesn’t sit in front of me on a two hour flight. Fair enough? And on example #2, I’m pretty sure I didn’t say “You stupid bitch! If you’re hungry, why didn’t you go get something to eat and shut the fuck up!” I think I was merely saying “well I am back now so why not take the time now to go peruse the savory offerings of airport fare”.

She also keeps haunting me by showing up in my office and telling me something else I should have done in a way contrary to the way I actually did it, be it responding to a phone call that she was listening to my end from the next room, or selecting a restaurant for lunch. She is like herpes.

Now people are spilling willy-nilly into my town. I learned the other day that we have the fourth largest St. Patrick’s Day parade in the nation. I’ve been to Savannah’s (#2), but I just don’t see our little parade being number 4. But it’s been around for 20 years, so it’s got staying power. And the Sweet Potato Queens. So now I have to put up with more out-of-town assholes. It’s been a tough week, and I apologize for not posting much this month. I promise I will do better.

In the meantime, I am going to rent a plane in an hour and fly over to the town where my girlfriend works, pick her up from work and fly her back here (after doing some sightseeing). It’s her birthday. And there aren't many people up there. Of course, I won't be able to take her out to dinner upon our return because every restaurant here will be filled to capacity with out-of-towners!!!


Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, y’all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home