Thursday, January 19, 2006

Tote-Sum

When I was a kid in the sixties, there were 2 convenience store chains in the United States. The first one was called 7-Eleven. Actually, the parent company had been operating convenience stores since the late twenties, but they didn’t start with the 7-Eleven chain until after WWII. The second convenience store chain in the U.S. was a local chain. It was the Tote-Sum.

Now, for those not hip to southern lingo, “tote” means to carry something. (It can also mean the thing to carry something in, but forget that one for now.) The word “Sum”, while a more correct spelling of the way we actually pronounce “some” was probably the owner’s crafty way of saving a little extra money on the signs by dropping a letter.

As a child, the Tote-Sum was my favorite place to go. At this writing, I can really only remember where about 4 or 5 of them were located, but there were at least 20 in the Jackson area. I know there was at least one in Vicksburg, but I don’t think there were any on the gulf coast. There were, however, 7-Eleven stores on the coast – something we didn’t have in Jackson. There may have been some in Hattiesburg or some to the north even.

If you ever run across someone who makes a reference to any convenience store as a “Tote-Sum”, you can pretty much nail them down as having lived in or around Jackson, Mississippi in the sixties, seventies or part of the eighties. To this day I still ask people “have y’all got a Tote-Sum around here?” Usually you get 2 different responses. One is “A what????” The other is invariably “I haven’t heard of a Tote-Sum in years!”

There were 2 within a 2 mile radius of my house. One of these was also very close to my school - an easy lunchtime trek through the woods surrounding a park to go fill up on candies and other goodies. I remember these both being open affairs – the storefront was really 3 rollup garage doors. It was like a big newspaper stand.

These did not have the trappings of a modern convenience store. There were no cappuccino machines or fountain drinks. The cooler was comparatively small, there were no aisles of products like motor oil and gloves and gas cans. There may have been light bulbs, but those were probably priced very high compared to the A&P across the street. I remember we also used to steal bottles stacked in crates behind the stores and bring them in for deposits – my first attempts at larceny. My store was on Northside Drive, across the stree from Highland Village and the Olde Time Deli. It stood next to the entrance to Maywood Mart. I once ripped out the oil pan of my ’72 Cutlass (the Brown Turd) in the side parking spaces.

To tell you the truth, I can’t really remember much about the inside of these stores. As much time as I spent there and as much crap as I bought, what once was such a large part of my life is not even a fading memory. All I can remember is a partial front-outside view of a paradise beckoning with open arms. And the sign.

The Tote-Sum sign was a thing to behold. Of course you would probably laugh at my recollection if you were to ever see one, but you have to remember that this was Jackson, Mississippi and it was the sixties and I was a child. In a metropolitan area of 250,000 souls and a 19 story building being our tallest, the sign was, to me, a thing of beauty. It was the closest thing I had to the streets of downtown Tokyo circa “You Only Live Twice”. Well, it and the Mayflower Café sign…

The sign stood probably 30 feet or so. It was a white pole, about 5 inches in diameter. Starting at the top were 8 olive green square metal boxes, each probably close to 2-3 feet per side, descending down the pole. On the left, right and front sides of each box was a reddish-orange-ish neon letter. T O T E – S U M. The neon was sequenced to start at the top, light a letter and pause about a second, light the next letter, pause, so on and so on until all 8 letters (well, 7 letters and the dash) were lit. Then they would all shut off for about half a second and then all come on for about a second. It would do that twice. Then it would start at the top of the sequence.

T…O…T…E…-…S…U…M…TOTE-SUM…TOTE-SUM

T…O…T…E…-…S…U…M…TOTE-SUM…TOTE-SUM


I remember some evenings, returning home with one or both parents, we would stop off for something at the Tote-Sum. Whereas most kids would always want to go inside and look around or spend their hard-earned cash, I would almost always elect to remain in the car staring, transfixed, at this wondrous device. It beckoned me. It spoke to me.

And not just to me!

In the nineties, I was working in the IT department for a grocery chain. The Tote-sum stores had long been closed, and most of the buildings were gone as well – victims of progress. My favorite store at least still remained – disguised as a Subway sandwich shop. I was working on a graphics-intensive executable and decided to have a unique “Exit” button. I made this button green and put big red-orange letters spelling “Exit” (of course) flashing in the same sequence as my beloved Tote-sum sign. E…X…I…T…EXIT…EXIT…E…X…I…T…EXIT…EXIT. I did it mostly because I was playing around and had way too much time on my hands.

While it was being beta-tested, I had at least 6 different people come to me and ask if I had modeled this on the old Tote-Sum sign. One even told me he used to sit in the car and watch the sign when he was a kid. Too bad I thought (and still think) this guy is an asshole. We could easily have been kindred spirits.


But he was a mainframe geek and never made coffee.

I can forgive the former, but the latter is a red-hot brad-awl shoved through my soul - no matter if you were a Tote-sum sign dreamer.


21 Comments:

At 20/1/06 19:41, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

When I worked in Cuba, Missouri, there was a little mini-mall convenience store with the creative name (in red letters on white squares): Convenience Store. That must have been expensive. After two years, two letters burned out, and it was "Convenience Sto." It went out of business when a Casey's General Store went in down the road.

 
At 9/10/08 06:51, Blogger odonatagreg said...

I recall a TOTE-SUM fondly from my childhood in the sixties/seventies. It was in Jackson, on Robinson, 1 block east of Ellis, across the street from a shopping center containing a McRaes and Woolworths. I would ride my bike over there, buy a comic book & a cream soda (or on occassion a cheerwine or Dr.Pepper). I'd sit out front and read and drink in the heat. I recall the parking lot was littered w/ pop tops that had been firmly mashed into that weird Mississippi pebble pavement. I almost forgot the Icee (a slushy drink), those were another favorite of mine found at the TOTE-SUM.

 
At 4/1/09 14:24, Blogger Jpirie said...

I remember Tote-Sum very well. (I grew up in Jackson.) The store I remember most was at Northside Dr, and Triangle Dr. You could go in either through the front or the back at this store.

 
At 14/1/09 10:29, Blogger Mary Ray said...

I so remeber Tote-Sum stores. I recall boocoos (is that one word or two?) of them. In fact I remember the men who worked in at least two of them, namely the ones on Old Canton Rd. at Canton Mart, and the one on Fortification. I had my first fender bender at the one on Fortification. I was 13 or had just turned 14. Imagine that today! Anyhoo, I found your blog searching for an image of the Tote-Sum sign because I am trying to put together a video of growing up in Jackson in the 60's and 70's. Well, it's about time to ask Jack Sunn. Thanks for the memories!

 
At 10/2/09 16:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember TOTE-SUM stores, one was down the street from the house, over on ridgewood road and near adkins blvd, one over on old canton road (mr. Berry was the manager there). What a great place. Time gone by...

Armanger

 
At 10/2/09 16:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: Lee Moore, Jim Moore, Barry Newall, Paul Franklin and Army say hi!

Wow, that was 30 years ago.

Wonder what Greg kastle is up to these days.

TOTE-SUM!

 
At 31/3/09 09:51, Blogger briansmith said...

I did a google-search for "Tote-Sum" and discovered your post. Don't remember what prompted me to look for that name -- probably due to the fact I just turned 60 and I guess I'm trying to rediscover my past. Although I have barely been back to Jackson for the past 40 years (except to bury my father in 1990),I remember your Tote-Sum on Northside Drive all too well. Sorry to hear (but not surprised) that it no longer exists. As a kid in the late 50's and early 60's I went there often, usually looking for the latest Superman or Batman comic book. (They always seemed to have the latest issue.) I remember the guy that ran the place. He looked like an ex-marine -- stocky, crew cut, in his late 30's or early 40's. He was never very friendly, as I recall, but just barely tolerated kids like me looking through his comic book stand. I also remember when Maywood Mart was built. I spent every penny I could scrape up on baseball cards at the Beeman and Brent drugstore. Loved to visit the Ben Franklin at the other end of the mall. I also remember when Highland Village was built. It was quite an upscale experience compared to everything else that existed in northeast Jackson until that time. In hindsight, however, I resent it deeply. It marked the death of the downtown Jackson shopping area (Kenington's and the Emporium), as retailers fled to the suburbs. Many thanks for the memories.

 
At 14/6/09 18:21, Blogger JWA said...

Yep. Tote-Sum for me was across from Westland Plaza. (The McRae's and Woolworth one that odonatagreg mentioned.

I loved it. Spent my time in front of it also with my friend Susan Tadlock. We rode bikes there. Our favorite places were Tote-Sum, Krystal on Ellis, Harlow's Donuts (that may have been later) and Woolworth's. We also used to go to the fountain at Bradford Drugs. Thanks for the wonderful memories. Jo

 
At 27/4/10 12:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the one across Callaway High School on Beasley Rd. Great place and fond memories going there with my Gradfather.

 
At 22/6/10 14:18, Anonymous kim said...

I grew up outside Jackson, MS, where every convenience store is a "tote-sum" and every carbonated beverage is a "coke."

you'll find me waxing nostalgic on tote-sums and other stuff southern people like at:

http://girloutofdixie.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/20-tote-sum-stores/

 
At 10/10/10 20:28, Blogger Unknown said...

"Come shop the Tote-Sum Store,
Your selections wide.
Tote-Sum's the little store,
(Doodle oot doo doo)
With a big store,
Inside!"

 
At 7/9/12 20:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Tote-Sum very well. The closest to me as a child was the one at Northside Dr. and Triangle Dr. When I grew up I actually worked for the company for a while before moving on to working at a bank.

 
At 7/3/13 22:00, Blogger Unknown said...

One of my 2nd cousins worked at Totes-Sum till they sold out. He worked at the Northside Dr/I55 location but also worked at the North State Street store (north of The Cherokee), the store on Oak Forest Dr. and wherever else they wanted him to go. If you'd ever met him you probably would not forget Duke. Big man with a crew cut. He wasn't just my Moms' 1st cousin, after my Dad died, he was like a father to me. I miss him dearly to this day.
I think Tote-Sum was either bought out by Super Stop, or it was just a marketing move to change their name. Not sure which.

 
At 5/11/13 21:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe I'm just trying to dig too far back in my brain but wasn't there a little indian brave head included on the logo or sign somewhere? the one for me was a block north of the cherokee just before the miniature golf place. I think it used to be a Blue & White at one time. Anyone remember those?

 
At 11/4/14 17:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The E light was always out in South Jackson. TOT SUM

 
At 1/10/14 12:33, Anonymous In Jackson since 1962 said...

Obviously many people from Jackson have fond memories of the Tote-Sum stores for this thread to still be going some 8 years after it started. I'd forgotten about all the locations until reading some of your comments. "My" Tote-Sum was primarily the one on Triangle Drive with the back entrance from Northside, but there was another on Forest Avenue under the water tower that was almost as close. Remember buying my first beer, under age, at the one on Ridgewood, then trying to drink it in the woods that used to be there behind it. Both the ones at Maywood and Ridgewood are Subway shops now. The one at Triangle/Northside is a coin laundry. The one on State, north of the Old Cherokee is still a convenience store, but now part of a gas station too, Conoco maybe. The person wondering about the little indian brave is juxtaposing the old Redman Pest Control logo, which was across the street from the Triangle/Northside store.

 
At 1/10/14 13:06, Anonymous Jackson since 1962 said...

P.S. Tote-Sum stores started as Tote-Sum Ice stores in 1948. A family business out of Meridian, MS, though I have no idea if there were any Tote-Sum stores in Meridian. I have a friend who grew up there and will try to remember to ask him.

 
At 1/10/14 14:04, Anonymous In Jackson since 1962 said...

Confirmed. Tote-Sum started in Meridian and there were stores there as well.

 
At 8/1/17 00:16, Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to find pictures of the tote sums. I live by the one on Raymond Road. It was the first place I had seen a video game. I went there everyday til they closed down. Jackson was a good place back then.

 
At 8/1/17 00:18, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah there was a Majic Market down the road too.

 
At 28/2/17 22:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a long and interesting article about Tote-Sum: http://www.the-american-interest.com/2017/02/25/gone-to-the-tote-sum/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home